Translate

Saturday, February 18, 2012

How Should I List My Status?


How Should I List My Status?

By

Dr. Gilda Carle


Courtesy of Match.com’s Happen Magazine


People often ask me whether to declare themselves “divorced” or “separated” when listing their status online.  Here’s a guy who really wants to do the right thing—but whose status choice is not as crucial to deal with as is his neediness!!


Dear Dr. Gilda,
I’ve decided that online dating is the way to go, but after two years of separation (I am in the military, and my wife is back in the States), my divorce is still not final. I am stationed halfway across the world, and I am at the mercy of her lawyers. I am lonely and need support. I thought I might find someone online who could get to know me, and then when my tour was over, I could get back to dating. By then my divorce should be final.


My question is, “What do I put on my profile?” Do I say “currently separated,” because it’s the truth? I worry that women will see that and assume I am a cheater who is looking for something on the side. Or do I write “divorced?” I have filed the paperwork, and I don’t know when the divorce will be final.


I just need to find someone to connect with and to confide in. I am so lonely here and hope is the one thing that will get me through this.  I just don’t want to screw this up. Please help, Dr. Gilda.
Private Lonely


Dear Private Lonely,
I counsel a lot of military people around the world, and loneliness is one of their most prevalent emotions. While they’re coping with life vs. death, they feel isolated and distant from the world they used to know. They pray they will eventually return in “one piece” and they fantasize about settling into life as they knew it. But life as they knew it is never the same. Many of their marriages fall apart, just as John McCain’s did when he returned to civilian life, and just as yours did, long-distance.


One way to find love that lasts wherever you are is to embrace it without neediness. As my Gilda-Gram says, “We attract not who we want, but who we ARE.”
 Needy people attract other needy people, and with so much need, there is only disappointment.


This is what I suggest you do now:


  1. Definitely peruse the online dating sites, but instead of searching for love, look for friendship first. My Gilda-Gram advises, “Friends first, lovers later.” Right now, you need a pen pal who can offer emotional support and understanding, not a promise of something you may later regret.


  1. Seek several such friendships. As you search, begin to recognize what YOU can offer each of them. Your letter to me is abundant in YOUR needs, but says nothing about what you want to provide someone else. Self-involvement is a sign you’re still hurting from being in divorce limbo. It also proves you’re not ready for love.


  1. Be honest online. The term “currently separated” is not a disease! Since you’re not looking for love right now, your marital status is irrelevant. If a friendship gradually turns to love, hopefully by then your divorce will be final.


It is horrible to feel so out of control. Hopefully, you will soon be home. We Americans thank you for protecting us. Also protect yourself, both physically and emotionally. I hope you have plenty of time to meet those who will be anxious to meet you and can give as well as receive when you return!
Dr. Gilda


XXX
DR. GILDA CARLE (Ph.D.) is the internationally known Relationship Expert to the Stars.  She is Match.com’s “ASK DR. GILDA” advice columnist. She is also known as the Country Music Doctor, with her “Country Cures.”  She is a motivational speaker, professor of psychology & communications, the author of the well-known “Don’t Bet on the Prince!,” a test question on “Jeopardy,” NOW IN ITS SECOND EDITION, 99 Prescriptions for Fidelity, How to Win When Your Mate Cheats, and many more. She was the therapist in HBO's Emmy Award winner, "Telling Nicholas," featured on Oprah, where she guided a family to tell their 7-year-old that his mom died in the World Trade Center bombing.  DR. GILDA is the Love Doc advisor for the off-Broadway show, “Miss Abigail’s Guide to Dating, Mating, & Marriage!”  She is currently developing her own TV show.  Visit www.DrGilda.com and get her Instant Advice!








No comments: